Wednesday, March 4, 2009

IM Langkawi report # 3: "Inspired"

you may think it's trivial, but to have a friend running beside you while you're cycling,
snapping photos, cheering you on.. an IM would appreciate such gesture.. well done TSB!
Dear all,

here an input from Kharis @ TSB.. IM tru his eyes:

I used to roll the dice

Feel the fear in my enemy's eyes
Listen as the crowd would sing
"Now the old king is dead! Long live the king!"


Those are excerpts of lyrics from Coldplay's Viva La Vida (Live Life).

Kings who rule the world. My friends who made it to the finish line in IM Langkawi 2009. There are so many things I cannot begin to describe after that emotional, intense and blissful weekend. Witnessing Kings being made, each and every (painful) step of the way.

I was one of the designated team of photographers on task to capture the many moments of our friends throughout the race. Not being able to use my usual camera, I had to borrow another camera with a subdued lense more suitable for portraits. Never the less, a job needs to be carried out. Langkawi was hot and humid as usual. I used to spend a lot of time in this island during my years organizing the TdL. Arrived on Friday and joined a band of merrymen without our wives around. Needless to say, going all out crazy is probably an understatement.

Somehow, this trip was more than I could ever bargained for. It was unlike I have ever seen before. Unlike pro cycling races, a Triathlon event is not exclusive to pros and the elites. You can be part of it. And I think that makes a lot of difference. Amidst the thousand shutter clicks, I witnessed a great spectacle of the human spirit. I witnessed every one of my friends went out on a journey that perhaps define their own lives on that particular day. Emotions were high in the air. Excitement was everywhere. Anxiety was hard to contain. Enthusiasm was boosting.

Who said Ironman (triathlon) is an individual sport? For me, it is definitely a team sport. A camaraderie of true friendship that you can rely on at every step of the way. We (supporters) somehow found our way throughout the entire race course to give our undivided support for these 'Kings' to finish. As Mac wrote in his note, 22 hours out on the road. I found myself running up and down hills and the running course alongside my friends. And I hate running! Mind boggling, you might say. Yet, we are not even close to what the 'Kings' achieved within the 17 hours given to them. They have defied all odds and made it through to the finish line in one piece. It doesn't matter if you reached there in 13, 14, 15, 16 or 17 hours - no one can take away that honour from you. No one.

In no particular order, I would like to pay tribute to these Kings;

Julie - 13+ hours. You never fail to surprise me. An emotional race for you indeed. You'll be allright. Take your time at the transition and smile!

Adzim - I think you can finish top 10 in the Malay Mail Big Walk now. You did well, boy. Thanks for the Krispy Kremes.

Abu - Lu memang power lah.

Rashid - Despite of our rantings about your robocop regimes, I salute you for arriving at the finish line in decent time. And eat more nasi la!

AJ - You make me constantly wonder about how you harness such relentless energy.

Yusran - Bro. 14+ hours only ka? You are my sifu of MAKAN. Nuff said!

Adeline - The unsung hero. The fact that you bounced back from your nasty broga crash and arrived at the IM starting line was already an achievement.

Stupe - One hour behind last year's IM. You're still an IM this year bro. Despite all the long hours at work, I think you did a helluva job.

Barath - The Great. First time triathlete and you finished the Ironman, for God's sake! Miracles do happen and you're it.

Arif - You made it through Hajj and I had no doubts about you crossing the finish line. Don't lose the chick now ;)

Senn - You have a willpower of an Iron to overcome the pain barrier and make it to the IM finish line. Perhaps, it's time to seek for your own finish line ;)

Ish - You have come full circle at the end of this race. Every bit of emotion has fueled you to the finish line. I was merely (struggling) to walk you through it. To infinity and beyond!

Kam - nothing is more fulfilling and rewarding to be called an Ironman. Most of us know that you have been through a huge hurdle in your personal life and what a way to overcome it. You're a hero in your own right!

The LeTuang Photography/Support Crew/Groupie - SK, Jason, Jim, Luvis, Din, Tini, Merv, Aileen, Mac, Aini, Lin:

I think we did a fairly good job, don't you think? Thank you for a wonderful and nutty time together. Thank you for putting up with my antics and snoring. Haha! We have a great synergy and I think that is essential.

And then we have TSB.

Am I inspired?
Hell, yes!

Will I do it?
It's a mystery ;)

1 comment:

  1. Awesome writing TSB! Will wait for u to start triathlon.

    ReplyDelete